ACCEPTANCE SPEECH BY H.E. MUHAMMADU INUWA YAHAYA (DAN MAJEN GOMBE), GOVERNOR OF GOMBE STATE, ON HIS VICTORY AT THE JUST-CONCLUDED GOVERNORSHIP AND STATE ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS, SUNDAY 19TH MARCH, 2023.
قُلِ ٱللَّهُمَّ مَـٰلِكَ ٱلْمُلْكِ تُؤْتِى ٱلْمُلْكَ مَن تَشَآءُ وَتَنزِعُ ٱلْمُلْكَ مِمَّن تَشَآءُ وَتُعِزُّ مَن تَشَآءُ وَتُذِلُّ مَن تَشَآءُ ۖ بِيَدِكَ ٱلْخَيْرُ ۖ إِنَّكَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَىْءٍ قَدِ
Say: “O Allah! Master of all Kingship, You give power to whom You please and take away power from whomsoever You please; You give honor to whom You please and disgrace to whom You please; all good is in Your hand; surely You have power over everything. (Ali-Imran: verse 26)
My Dear Citizens of Gombe State
2. It is with a heart full of gratitude, humility and complete submission to the will of Allah that I address you today in order to express my profound appreciation for giving me the honor to serve once again as your governor for another term of four years.
3. The extraordinary outpouring of support and solidarity in the just concluded governorship and state assembly elections has reaffirmed my belief in your determination to choose the politics of development and progress over that of retrogression and blackmail. Through the ballot box, you have made clear priorities and aspirations for Gombe State to continue on the path of progress, prosperity and all-inclusive development and governance.
4. This victory is not Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya’s or APC’s victory alone. It is a victory for all citizens of Gombe State. The roads, hospitals, schools and other development projects and dividends of democracy we provided over the past four years (and which we shall continue to provide) are not for the benefit of our supporters alone, but for the benefit of all citizens of Gombe State irrespective of ethnic, religious or partisan affiliations.
5. As in every electoral contest, there is bound to be winners and losers. But for me, there is no victor and no vanquished. If the ultimate objective of all political parties and contestants is about the peace, progress and development of Gombe State, it behooves on all of them to support us in moving our dear State forward. On my part, I’m ready to work with all stakeholders in running an all-inclusive government for the benefit of our people.
6. I would like to commend the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for conducting a smooth, peaceful and hitch-free elections. I would also like to thank our security agencies for their professionalism and patriotism during the elections. To all civil society groups and observer missions, I want to thank you for your role in making our elections peaceful, fair and credible. I would like to also appreciate the role played by our religious leaders and traditional rulers in promoting peaceful coexistence among our people throughout the electioneering period and beyond.
7. To our great party, the All Progressives Congress and all party members, led by the party chairman, the campaign Director-General, campaign coordinators, members of our campaign council, party executives, support groups, party activists and supporters, women and youth groups, trade unions, artisan associations, and many other groups too numerous to mention, I want to say a big thank you for your positive roles and contributions towards our success.
8. Most importantly, I want to thank our dear people of Gombe State for the resounding vote of confidence in us. I am truly humbled by your outpouring of support and goodwill. I remain eternally grateful for this honor, and I want to assure you that I will not let you down.
9. On a final note, I rededicate this victory to Almighty Allah, The Giver of power and Master of Sovereignty. To Him alone be the ultimate glory. I pray he guides our hands and bless our efforts in discharging this onerous responsibility. Thank you and God bless you!
God Bless Gombe State!
God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!