By KHADIJAT, Yusuf:
There is no gain saying that ‘health is wealth’. A healthy life experience a long, lasting and fulfilled moment of the world. The importance of taking cognizance of human’s health cannot be over – emphasized this is because the body chemistry of all living things is characterised with so many social activities which varies from one thing or the other, without a good and proper care of this body, things might fall apart, perhaps, undue aging, age- long ailment and other health related issues may surface as a chronic one.
Imagine the society of today, statistics shows that almost 70% of people on the street lives without a regular check- up of their body, knowing their health status in order to forestall unceremonial predicament. This prevailed in almost every human’s live as many are more concern with financial issues than their health but interestingly, the body can only functions appropriately when it is not hampered with any of these late deceases.
Although it can be adjudge that many of the foods consumed by human beings are more nutritious and fortified to the body but then, can it be compared with the good old times of our forefathers where more of their foods consumed are herbal – oriented product and of which sustains them above a hundred years in life looking hale and hearty.
According to a nutritionist at University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital (UITH), Mrs. Adeshile Omoyeni explain that there is need for every human being to have an essential balance diet in their daily consumption of food as it helps to reduce infectious diseases, strengthening them and also serve as a cardiac – protective role for the body.
Mrs. Omoyeni gave it that ‘ you do not necessarily need to be financially buoyant before meeting up with your daily balance diet, a piece of every food in its own class can make your day with the little you have’. Little wonder will you believe in some of the foods we consumed out of pleasure that rejuvenate the body chemistry as ever desire. It is in this regard that Fabila’s fitness gave the 10 benefits of plantains, here it goes:
- Plantains are very reliable sources of starch and energy.
- Plantain contains a high amount of dietary fibre which helps ensure healthy bowels and reduces constipation.
- Plantains have more vitamin C than bananas. This helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge – oxygen.
- Plantains more vitamin A than banana. In addition to being a powerful antioxidant, Vitamin A plays a vital role in the visual cycle by maintaining healthy mucus membranes and enhancing skin complexion.
- Plantain is so rich in Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine). Pyridoxine is an important B- complex vitamin, which has a beneficial role in the treatment of neuritis, anaemia and also decreases homocystine (causative factors of coronary disease (CHD) and stroke) levels in the body.
- Plantain also contains Folates, Niacin, Riboflavin and Thiamin. Folates (Folic Acid) are essential for health pregnancy.
- Plantains also provide adequate levels of minerals such as Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus. Magnesium is essential for bone strengthening and has a cardiac- protective role.
- Plantains have more Potassium component which is important in the body fluids and cell that helps control heart rate effect of Sodium.
- Plantains are famed to be diuretic which can help prevent kidney and bladder problems.
- Plantains ease the problem associated with the menstrual period of every woman.
With all these, it is believe that plantain will be considered in your daily consumption for its tremendous elements that makes up a healthy live.